ATM & Debit Card Safety Tips
Your debit card is a convenient way to access funds in your account and to make purchases. Keep it, and your account safe, by following these safety tips:
Debit Card & PIN Safety Tips
- Treat your card like cash & always store it in a safe place
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately
- Memorize your PIN and don't share it with anyone
- Only shop online at secure sites (look for the "https" or the closed padlock in the web address)
- Review your account statements regularly
- Never respond to an unsolicited request
- Download the CardNav app and turn your debit card off when not in use
- Capturing card information, or "skimming" is on the rise at ATMs and gas stations. Never use an ATM or card swipe terminal on a gas pump that looks like it has been tampered with; look for loose or extra parts attached to the machine
- If your card is captured inside an ATM or other device, call TCCU immediately to report the incident. You may think the equipment was faulty, but often times it is captured by a criminal who tampered with the machine.
- Download the CardNav app and turn your debit card off when not in use, or if it is captured or retained in a terminal
ATM Safety Tips
- Only use well-lit, unobstructed view ATMs and observe your surroundings prior to starting a transaction
- Have your card out and ready to use
- Leave the area immediately;don't count your cash while at the ATM
- Only use your PIN once for a transaction; if you receive odd messages or prompts, cancel your transaction and go to another ATM
- Look for possible fraud devices attached to ATMs and/or gas pumps. Do not use the terminal if it looks as if it has been tampered with
- Consider going to an ATM locaiton with someone you know and trust. Don't accept assistance from anyone you do not know
- If anyone follows you after making an ATM transaction, drive immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police
Sign up for TCCU's Security Center newsletter for the latest in security protection.
Questions about ATM Safety? Give us a call at 817.884.1470.